Today, almost everyone is online. With access to cheap data and affordable smartphones, the number of people across the country (Bangladesh) who have access to the internet has increased exponentially. This means that if the companies want to connect with their target customers, engage them, create brand awareness and sell them some products or services, they can easily do it through online channels.
What is Digital Marketing?
When you get down to it, digital marketing is simply marketing on digital platforms.
It’s how today’s businesses are getting their message in front of their best prospects and customers.
That is what Digital Marketing is all about.
Digital marketing has become quite popular in Bangladesh too.
Businesses in Bangladesh today leverage digital channels such as social media, search engines, email, and websites to connect with current and prospective customers.
Marketing methods have evolved over the years as the way customers consume information changes. Radio advertising led to television advertising, which then evolved into the digital marketing tactics we see seemingly everywhere today.
While TV remains one of the prime advertising fields for many businesses, the shift to digital marketing has allowed advertisers to reach a worldwide market by targeting customers online. As this field continues to grow at a brisk global pace, it is no surprise that the number of digital marketing jobs has also increased.
Here, we take a look at why digital marketing matters and what career paths are available in the field of Bangladesh.
Why Lean Toward Digital Marketing?
With advanced growth in marketing technologies, companies are trying to maintain their revenue flow either by adding online components to their brick-and-mortar stores or combining various digital marketing strategies to join the lucrative online marketplace.
Because most people today use smartphones and research products online prior to making purchases, it has become vital for these businesses to have digital marketing plans in place to attract their respective target audiences. But smartphones and online research are not the only reasons companies across the globe have turned to digital marketing. They’re using these strategies to more easily target audience segments online and through mobile—and many are seeing a significant return on investment (ROI).
- Ease of Audience Targeting With digital marketing, advertisers can use data to target audiences more easily based on factors like gender, age, location, interests, and education, and can retarget potential customers who are already familiar with their brand using different methods and messages for each audience segment. There are even advanced online marketing certifications available to help digital marketers master this art.
- Low Investment, High ROI The cost per lead with digital, or inbound, marketing is 61 percent less expensive than traditional marketing. Businesses that advertise on social media, use paid search and employ other digital strategies spend considerably less on their campaigns, largely because many use pay-per-click (PPC) strategies to keep costs down and hone in on their specific audiences. Generally speaking, their ROI is not only higher but also more immediate.
- Reaching Mobile Users There are 8.6 billion mobile connections worldwide, which is more than the world’s population. Because most of today’s smartphones have internet access, it is easier than ever for businesses to reach potential customers anywhere, anytime.
The Scope of Digital Marketing in Bangladesh
Digital marketing has exploded over the past few years, with 88 percent of companies using social media as a primary advertising tactic.
They are taking the leap into this brave new world through either business-to-business (B2B) or business-to-consumer (B2C) digital marketing:
- B2B: To generate leads, B2B marketers rely on web traffic but also are active on social media platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter. They also often rely on PPC campaigns to reach target audiences inexpensively.
- B2C: B2C marketers focus on improving brand awareness and attracting customers to their websites and products using social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
In addition to social media, businesses are using paid search, email marketing, and other methods to reach new audiences.
Digital Marketing in 2020 and Beyond
Digital marketing trends continue to evolve each year as more companies enter the space and new technologies are born. Looking ahead to 2020, here are some trends that will help continue to shape this space.
1. Social Media Influencers
Advertisers in all sectors are connecting with social media influencers to help enhance their brands. This is proving to be an effective digital marketing strategy, largely because consumers tend to believe other consumers rather than the actual companies advertising their products. Expect more companies in 2020 and beyond to use these influencers to drive sales.
2. Video Remains King
In 2020, the video will remain a top strategy as digital marketers capitalize on users’ short attention spans and desire to stream rather than the read content. Most of today’s social media channels offer live video as well as video-sharing capabilities to keep up with both advertiser and user demand.
3. Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence (AI) has allowed digital marketers to gather more productive data analysis so they can further customize the customer journey. With AI, programs are designed to help understand everything about a persona and provide results that will most likely appeal to specific segments of the population. AI also provides a more personalized experience for users, giving them customized assistance at each stage of the buying process. Part of this can be achieved through automating ads to targeted audiences using programmatic advertising. In fact, almost 90 percent of online display ads will be programmatic in the United States by 2020.
Careers in Digital Marketing in Bangladesh
Digital marketers are responsible for following these trends and incorporating them into their strategies. They rely on digital marketing as a reliable, influential, measurable, and user-friendly platform – and as companies continue to explore the online marketplace for a wider reach, more jobs than ever are becoming available to meet these needs.
Digital marketing roles include social media marketing specialists, PPC specialists, digital marketing consultants, and search engine optimization (SEO) specialists. Bloggers and YouTubers can also find themselves writing and vlogging professionally in the digital marketing space.
Careers are widely available in the digital marketing space, but a solid understanding of these techniques and tactics is essential to succeed in the field. Through dedicated online training, marketers and learn social media, PPC, SEO, web analytics, email, and content and mobile marketing tactics to be able to launch and maintain effective campaigns.